The Carrollton City School District is committed to providing school environments that promote and protect children’s health, well-being, and ability to learn by supporting healthy eating and physical activity, Therefore, it is the policy of the Carrollton City School District that:
● All students in grades K-12 will have opportunities, support, and encouragement to be physically active on a regular basis.
● Foods and beverages sold or served at school will meet the Federal nutrition requirements of the Healthy Hunger Free Kids Act and the Smart Snack regulations.
● Qualified child nutrition professionals will provide students with access to a variety of affordable, nutritious, and appealing foods that meet the health and nutrition needs of students; will accommodate the religious, ethnic, and cultural diversity of the student body in the meal planning; and will provide clean, safe, and pleasant settings and adequate time for students to eat.
● To the maximum extent practicable, all schools in our district will participate in available federal school meal programs (including the School Breakfast Program, National School Lunch Program, Snack Program and Seamless Summer Feeding Program).
● Schools will provide nutrition education and physical education to foster lifelong habits of healthy eating and physical activity, and will establish linkages between health education and the School Nutrition Program.
● The school district is committed to implementing a Farm to School initiative focused on serving locally grown foods as defined by the School Nutrition Program. This effort will be supported with nutrition education in the schools.