Carrollton City Schools offers a nontraditional program that provides assigned students the structure and support they need to become successful learners and responsible members of the community. Serving students in grades 6-12 who have been assigned to attend an alternative program due to behavior, the program is customized through the establishment of a safe, positive welcoming environment that provides structured and engaging learning experiences. In addition to academics, students also will participate in social skills support, college and career planning and community service opportunities.
Carrollton Online Academy staff members will guide and encourage students to make positive choices about their academics and their behaviors, and students are empowered to be accountable for their learning. Students learn that every situation presents a choice, to identify potential outcomes of choices they are considering, to set goals and develop a plan to achieve them, and take responsibility for the choices they make.
Students assigned to the program will attend one of two four-hour daily sessions Monday-Friday. Morning and afternoon sessions will provide a flexible schedule that allows students the opportunity to meet family or work commitments while completing their education.
What Does Carrollton Online Academy Offer?
Carrollton Online Academy offers a rigorous, standards-based curriculum that is based on Georgia Standards of Excellence. Students who attend Carrollton Online Academy benefit from:
- small class size, small group instruction and personalized attention from caring, certified teachers who meet district qualification requirements;
- personalized and differentiated instruction, which blends teacher-led instruction, independent practice with one-on-one support from teachers;
- personalized academic plans and goals created specifically to meet individual students’ needs;
- a rigorous and engaging technology-rich environment that offers a variety of curriculum platforms, and helps students become familiar with tools they will use in college, trade or vocational school or the workplace;
- focused, dedicated preparation for state assessments;
- job and career counselors who will help students develop a post-secondary plan for college and career preparation that helps students develop the skills required to secure employment and give back to the community; and
- social skills guidance to develop pro-social, self-evaluation and personal responsibility skills, which result in greater accountability, and improved academic results and prepare students to transition back to neighborhood schools.
For information about the Carrollton Online Academy, please contact:
Karen Wild, Director of School Improvement